Staphylococcal toxic shock syndrome in paediatric burns is a life threatening condition. It is caused when the burn wound is colonised by toxic shock syndrome toxin-1 producing Staphylococcus aureus (13). Mortality of this condition can be as high as 50%. It is not confined to patients with extensive burns, and may occur in smaller burns (less than 10% TBSA) 2 – 4 days post injury. The onset is characterised by:
- Fever of 38.9C or above
- Deterioration in the child’s condition a few days after injury.
- Hypotension, diarrhoea and vomiting may occur.
- Late symptoms may include renal failure and liver damage
Awareness, early detection and aggressive treatment are necessary to prevent life-threatening or fatal illness.