Ocular Chemical Exposure
- Topical anaesthetic can be used to aid saline or water irrigation for chemical ocular burns.
- Topical anaesthetic must not be used chronically for pain relief.
- The use of specific neutralising solutions is not recommended for ocular chemical burns.
- Always ensure the unaffected eye is uppermost when irrigating to avoid contamination
- Where there has been a burn with particulate matter (e.g. lime or cement) it is important to evert the eye lids and remove any residual particulate matter.