Patients with burn injuries that meet the ANZBA referral criteria (4) require referral and non-urgent transfer to Victorian Adult Burn Service at the Alfred, or the Royal Children’s Hospital Burn Unit.
ALFRED TRAUMA CENTRE: 1800 ALFRED
ROYAL CHILDREN’S HOSPITAL TRAUMA ADVICE LINE: 9345 4701
- Burns greater than 10% TBSA
- Burns greater than 5% TBSA in children
- Full Thickness burns greater than 5% TBSA
- Burns of Special Areas – Face, hands, feet, genitalia, perineum & circumferential limb/chest burn
- Burns with inhalation injury
- Electrical burns
- Chemical burns
- Burns with pre-existing illness
- Burns associated with major trauma
- Burns at the extremes of age – young children & the elderly.
- Burn injury in pregnant women
- Non-accidental burns
Many of these patients will require non time critical transfer to the appropriate Burn Service which will be organised at the time of referral if required, and its timeliness will be based on individual case requirements.