Find information on patient transfer, inpatient and outpatient referrals.

Patient transfer and retrieval 

In Victoria, burn injuries greater than 20% of the total body surface area (TBSA) are considered a major trauma. Consult Adult Retrieval Victoria as soon as possible after injury.

Call Adult Retrieval Victoria: 1300 368 661

If the burn is less than 20% total body surface area, commence first aid or refer to our minor burns management information.

Or, call 000 if you are experiencing a burns emergency.

Outpatient referrals to The Alfred

We accept GP and specialist referrals to this service.

All referrals are triaged by the service according to clinical urgency.

Patient requiring immediate assessment should be sent to the Emergency & Trauma Centre.

To refer your patient, complete and fax a referral to us. For acute / urgent referrals, contact the burns registrar via Alfred Health switch (03) 9076 2000.

To ensure appropriate and timely triage, include all demographic and clinical details as well as relevant investigation results.

If you are concerned about any delay of the appointment, or if there is any deterioration in your patient’s condition, contact the service Registrar on call on (03) 9076 2000.

Victorian Adult Burns Service Referral Form


Paediatric burns clinical advice - non urgent

Please call (03) 9345 5522 and ask for the on call surgical registrar.

If sending photographs of a patient's wound please email photo's with patient details to:

Royal Children’s Hospital Burns Outpatients Clinic

All Royal Children’s Hospital Burn Outpatient referrals should be made via the Outpatient Clinic

  • Royal Children’s Hospital Burn Outpatient
  • Phone: (03) 9345 6180 (Mon-Fri)
  • Fax: (03) 9345 5034